General Decorating Contractor
General Decorating Contractors are hired by your event manager. They are generally responsible for the physical planning of the event, the shipment and delivery of exhibition freight, the rental of furniture, carpets and other booth/exhibit equipment and the building and dismantling of most of the exhibits. General contractors supply their own on site management and supervisors and hire freight moving and exhibit building labor from the Javits Center.
Exhibit Appointed Contractors
Exhibit Appointed Contractors (EAC's) are hired by exhibitors to build and dismantle exhibits. EAC's supply their own on-site management and hire exhibit building labor employed by the Javits Center. In order to hire labor directly from the Center, EAC's must open an account, which requires, among other things, the posting of a guarantee of payment bond or letters of credit and the fulfillment of certain insurance requirements.
Back to Top
Javits' teamsters are responsible for loading and unloading trucks and delivering exhibitor freight to and from an exhibitor's booth. Teamsters also perform rigging work with forklifts. The International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Local 807, has a contract with The Center to supply teamster labor. Teamsters are hired from the Center by general decorating contractors. Teamsters work under the direction and supervision of the general decorating contractor and their shifts are determined and organized by the contractor.
- Teamsters have three shifts per day, per event, per contractor and are paid straight time from Monday to Friday (except holidays). Teamsters are paid overtime (1 1/2 times)for Monday to Friday work over eight hours and all day Saturday and Sunday. They are paid double time for all work on holidays.
- Teamsters have 11 holidays: New Year's Day, Washington's Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Election Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving and the day after, and Christmas.
Freight Moving Exhibitors May Do Themselves (Hand Carry)
- Hand carried items can be brought in through the front of the building (east side) and at specified times, the north side, as long as parking regulations are obeyed. Parking locations will be assigned by the Event Manager after approval by Center Management. Parking is limited to vehicles no larger than a Ford Econoline van. Vehicles must be attended by a licensed driver at all times.
- Exhibitors may use nothing larger than a two-wheeled baggage cart (plastic or rubber wheels only) to move their items. Hanging clothing racks with four wheels are allowed for moving hanging garments.
- "Pop-up" displays, equal or less than 10' in length, capable of being carried by hand by one person may be brought in.
- Exhibitors moving items must use the doors and routes designated by event management.
- Individuals moving these items must be employees of the exhibiting company and must carry identification with them to verify this fact.
- Moving company trucks may be loaded and unloaded only on the Javits Center loading dock by Javits Teamsters. Such trucks may not be loaded or unloaded in front of the building or on the north end or anywhere else in the vicinity of the Center, as their freight is not considered "hand carry" regardless of its size. Under no circumstances will moving company employees, or any persons other than Javits Teamsters or direct employees of an exhibiting company engaged in legitimate "hand carry," be permitted to handle freight on Javits Center property.
Back to Top
Javits' Journeyman and Apprentice Carpenters take care of uncrating,crating, building and dismantling all exhibits and booths, laying carpets and other flooring covering, hanging non-electric signs, banners and drapes and distributing contractor owned and leased furniture and other standardized equipment. Apprentices normally move furniture and other equipment. They also do certain unskilled work and other work when accompanied by a journeyman. The International Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners, New York District Council, has a contract with the Center to provide skilled journeyman and apprentices. Carpenters (journeymen and apprentices) are hired from the Center by general decorating contractors and exhibitor appointed contractors. Carpenters work under contractors' direction and supervision and their shifts are organized and determined by the contractor.
- Carpenters have three shifts per day, per event, per contractor and are charged at straight time rates for the first eight hours of shift work. Monday to Friday (except holidays). Carpenters are paid overtime (1 1/2 x) for work more than 8 hours (Monday-Friday) and all day Saturday. On Sundays and holidays, they are paid double time.
- Carpenters have 10 holidays: New Year's Day; President's Day; Memorial Day; Independence Day; Labor Day; Columbus Day ; Election Day (in a Presidential Election year); Thanksgiving and the day after and Christmas.
Building Which Exhibitors May Do Themselves
- Exhibitors may unpack, pack and arrange their merchandise and products in their exhibit. Exhibitors may install or dismantle their exhibit and lay carpet in their exhibit as long as the booth size is 100 square feet or less and the work can be done without tools.
- Those performing the work above must be employees of the exhibiting company and must carry identification to verify that fact.
Back to Top
Javits' electricians install and remove all electrical wiring, load centers, disconnects and distribution panels. Electricians install and dismantle all lighting, except 10x10 ft. pop up booths with four or less lights , all electric signs, all communication and video cable between or outside exhibits and under carpet, and sound systems. Electricians also operate certain sound, light and video systems. The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (BEW) Local 3 has a contract with the Center to provide skilled journeymen electricians.
- Electrician's regular work hours are 7:30am to 3pm. When labor charges are applied, straight time prices are charged for these hours, Monday through Friday, except weekday holidays. For all other move-in hours overtime rates will apply. All move-out hours will be charged at the applicable rate.
- Electricians have 11 holidays; New Year's Day; Martin Luther King, Jr. Day; President's Day; Memorial Day; Independence Day; Labor Day; Columbus Day ; Election Day; Thanksgiving and the day after and Christmas.
Electrical Work Exhibitors May Do Themselves
- Exhibitors may plug in their own devices and equipment for properly ordered 110 volt electrical service of 1500 watts or less.
- Connect modems, printers, computers and keyboards.
- Install their own light bulbs.
- Test and tune their own equipment.
- Run their own communications cable between machines in the same booth above the booth carpet.
- Exhibitors may install and dismantle their own lights in booths 100 square feet or less without the use of tools or ladders.
Back to Top
Javits' plumbers install and remove all compressed air lines, water and drain lines, sinks, hot water heaters, and overhead venting. Plumbers make all final connections to the compressed air, water and drainage systems. Plumbers fill and drain all water tanks over 20 gallons. They can also supply, store, handle and connect certain bottled gas. Local 2 has a contract with the Center to provide skilled supervision and journeymen plumbers.
- Normal work shift for plumbers is 7:30 A.M. to 3 P.M. Most of the plumbing service rates include labor. Plumbing labor is only applied for work as requested which is not on the plumbing service order form and for repairs and relocations.In these instances, straight time rates are charged Monday to Friday 7:30 A.M. to 3 P.M.(except holidays). At all other times (including hours after 3 P.M. to 7:30 A.M. Monday through Friday, Saturday, Sunday and holidays) overtime rates are charged.
- Plumber's have 10 holidays; New Year's Day; President's Day; Memorial Day; Independence Day; Labor Day; Columbus Day: Election Day; Thanksgiving and the day after and Christmas.
Plumbing Work Exhibitors May Do Themselves
- Test, tune or repair water, drain, air and gas lines on the exhibitor side of the disconnect to the building system.
Back to Top
Javits' telephone electricians install, remove and repair all telephone lines. The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 3, has a contract with the Center to provide skilled telephone technicians.
- Telephone electrician's normal work hours are 7:30 A.M. to 3 P.M. each day. Most of the telephone service rates include labor. Telephone labor is only applied for work as requested which is not part of the service order form and for repairs and relocation. In these instances, straight time rates are charged Monday to Friday, 7:30 A.M. to 3 P.M. (except holidays). At all other times, Monday through Friday, Saturday, Sunday and holidays), overtime rates are charged.
- Telephone electricians have 11 holidays; New Year's Day; Martin Luther King, Jr. Day; President's Day; Memorial Day; Independence Day; Labor Day; Columbus Day ; Election Day; Thanksgiving and the day after and Christmas.
Telephone Work Exhibitors May Do Themselves
- Exhibitors may plug and unplug their phones, modems, faxes or credit card readers..
Back to Top
Javits' Cleaners vacuum, shampoo and sweep all carpet, empty waste baskets and supply and handle containers for removing hazardous wastes. The International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Local 237, has a contract with the Center to provide cleaning personnel.
- Cleaners work at any time as determined by Javits management or, when porter service is ordered, at times requested by exhibitors.
Cleaning Work Exhibitors May Do Themselves
- Exhibitor may clean and wipe down their products and display merchandise and parts of their exhibit not installed by other Javits labor.
Back to Top
Javits' set-up personnel move and arrange all "house" furniture for use in meeting rooms. Your event manager gets the first set-up per day at no charge. A charge is normally assessed for changeovers and additions.
The International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Local 237, has a contract with the Center to supply set-up personnel.
- Javits' set-up personnel work at times determined by Javits management.